St James’ CE Primary School is a voluntary aided school. The governors of the school are therefore the admissions authority, together with the Diocese and the Local Authority.
To make an application at the start of Reception year
Your child will start school in the academic year in which they have their fifth birthday. The academic year is set from September 1st to August 31st. To apply for a place please apply on line at www.herefordshire.gov.uk/Education and Learning/Apply for a school place/Reception Class Admissions page.
If you do not have the facility to apply online please contact the Herefordshire Admissions team as below to request a paper application.
To contact the teams, write to:
Emma Turner/Lisa Hince Herefordshire Council School Admissions
PO Box 4
Plough Lane Offices Plough Lane Hereford
or email: email@example.com.
or telephone 01432 260926/261574
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: (see policy)
To transfer from another school
If you would like your child to join us at any time other than at the start of their reception year you need to contact the school to find out if there is space in that year group. If there is, we will manage the transfer process with you through the school. Please contact us directly if you would like to know more.
Mr Ben Caldicott (Headteacher) 01432 273961
Mrs Emily Howells (School Business Manager) “ “
Criteria for being offered a place at St James School
Classes at St James’ CE Primary School have a limit of 30 places and 32 in classes 5 & 6, set by our Governors.
In Reception and KS1, 30 is the limit set by the Government.
The statements below are ranked in the order by which admissions applications are considered. If any of the criteria are oversubscribed then the distance from the school is then used as a measure, eg. If there are more than two church place applications these are then ranked according to distance from the school.
- Looked after children at the request of the Herefordshire
- Children whose Statement of Special Education Needs names St James’ CE Primary
- All children living within the catchment area of the school. (St James’ catchment map can be found on the school website: org
- Children from outside the catchment area who have siblings already attending the
- Exceptional medical or social need. Such applications must be evidenced by a statement from the appropriate
- Any other applications received from parents who live outside the catchment area. Distance will be considered with those nearest coming highest on the list.
These should be made in writing to:
Chair of Governors
St James’ CE Primary School Vicarage Road
HEREFORD HR1 2QN
This is the process that will be followed:
- If a parent/carer wishes to appeal against the decision, a letter should be written to the Chair of Governors at the school address
- The school will respond in writing giving the reasons for non-admission.
- If the parent/carer wishes to pursue the appeal, they should do so in writing to the
- The school will notify the LA Team in writing to: